It’s probably yesterday in at least one of our Sister Cities, so it’s late but not too late to write and think about Sister Cities Day – It’s tomorrow, July 16, 2017, 1:00 – 5:00 PM at the Nicollet Island Pavilion.
Joining in the festivities will be representatives of all of the Sister Cities, some of which have sent remarks, others have arranged for performances that represent their homeland and especially the music and dance of the Sister City.
The City of Minneapolis produces an outstanding guide to each of the Cities – If can’t attend the Nicollet Island event, do take time to enjoy the digital tour of our siblings – start your digital globe trotting here: http://www.minneapolis.org/partners-and-community/sister-cities/sister-cities-day/
- Click here to learn something about each of Minneapolis’ global sisters. http://www.minneapolis.org/partners-and-community/sister-cities/about-sister-cities/
- Learn much more about the mission and history of the Sister Cities Program here http://www.sister-cities.org
- View the speech given by President Dwight D. Eisenhower at the 1956 launch of the Sister Cities program here: http://www.sister-cities.org/mission-and-history
- Read about the history and mission of Sister Cities International here: http://www.sister-cities.org/about-sister-cities-international
- Hear participants tell their own Sister Cities stories https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-98rI9o65Q
If you can’t attend in person, enjoy a virtual tour of the Sister City community of which Minneapolis is a member. If you are able to join the Nicollet Island festivities, you’ll out-smart the masses if you did a digital dive first. You’ll have a chance to meet and greet new friends from around the globe with whom you can share family fun and Ice Cream! The event itself is free and open!