Sincere kudos to the University of Minnesota Libraries on the occasion of not one, but two, honors. First, the Libraries were honored with the 2017 National Medal for Library Service from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). (https://twin-cities.umn.edu/news-events/u-libraries-named-recipient-nations-highest-museum-and-library-honor) The Libraries were nominated for the award by the Friends of the Libraries Board.
The Medal will be awarded on Monday, July 17, at the National Archives in Washington, DC. Journalist, writer and radio commentator Cokie Roberts will present the award.
Dr. Kathryn K. Matthew, Director of the Institute of Museum and Library Services will officiate while David Ferriero, Archivist of the United States, will deliver remarks. Dr. Matthew and Friends of the Library Board President Margaret Telfer will represent the U of M Libraries at the award ceremony.
The Medal Ceremony will be streamed live at 2:00 pm on Monday, January 17.
To recognize that honor Governor Mark Dayton has proclaimed July 17, 2017 as University of Minnesota Libraries Day in Minnesota. For a copy of the Proclamation click here: http://continuum.umn.edu/pdf/uofmLibrariesDay.jpg
- University of Minnesota Libraries (https://www.lib.umn.edu)
- Wendy K. Lougee (http://wendy pradt lougee)
- Kathryn Matthew (https://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/2016/01/04/newsmaker-kathryn-matthew-imls/
- David Ferriero (https://www.archives.gov/about/archivist/archivist-biography-ferriero.html)
- Cokie Roberts (http://abcnews.go.com/News/cokie-roberts-abc-news-official-biography/story?id=16088961)