August rain: the best of the summer gone, and the new fall not yet born. The odd uneven time. Sylvia Plath
Sylvia Plath didn’t know about the Minnesota State Fair – had she known she would have realized that the best of summer is definitely not gone….Nor did she know about the amazing array of options that lure us during this “odd uneven time.” Just a few of the possibilities, including some that escape the headlines….
Pulitzer Prize winning editorial cartoonist Steve Sack is guest speaker at Talk of the Stacks at Minneapolis Central Library on Thursday, August 17. Doors open at 6:15, program at 7:00 PM. Free and Open to the public. Sponsored by Friends of the Library. https://www.supporthclib.org/steve-sack
To Really See, is a unique art exhibit on display through September 27 at the Minneapolis Central Library. Subtitled “art exploring the medication-taking experience” the exhibit is presented by Spectrum ArtWorks, a program of RESOURCE. Learn more about RESOURCE and Spectrum ArtWorks here: https://www.resource-mn.org/about-resource/
Though the days are indeed getting shorter, the East Side Freedom Library is determined to fill them with a robust series of late summer programs. All are free and open to the public.
- Thursday, August 17 -7:00 PM: Undertow, a program featuring poets and writers from the Cracked Walnut project (http://www.crackedwalnut.com ) Details here: http://eastsidefreedomlibrary.org/event/undertow-a-traveling-reading-series-of-cracked-walnut-project/
- Tuesday, August 22 –7:00 PM: Labors of Love: New Writing from ESFL” –readings from local women writers who participated in writing retreats at ESFL during the summer months. http://eastsidefreedomlibrary.org/event/labors-of-love-new-writing-from-esfl/
- Thursday, August 24- 700 PM. Carolyn Holbrook will read from the new Minnesota Historical Press collection, A Good Time for the Truth. In this inter-generational presentation Holbrook’s granddaughter Xaundra Nawa will read poetry and perform songs she has composed. http://eastsidefreedomlibrary.org/event/averyspecialinter-generationalpresentation/
- Saturday, August 26, 7:00 PM. Where Rivers Converge: A book reading by Three Rivers writers. Readings by Daniel O’Brien, Angela Hunt, James Robert Kane, April Munson, D.E. Munson and Heidi Skari. http://eastsidefreedomlibrary.org/event/where-rivers-converge-a-book-reading-by-three-rivers-writers/
Looking ahead – Details to follow about these forthcoming activities
- MinnAnimate 6 Film Festival — September 14 —https://minnanimate.com.
- Twin Cities Book Festival – October 13 and 14 — http://www.raintaxi.com/twin-cities-book-festival/
- The Arts Meander – Upper Minnesota River Art Crawl – September 29-October 1 http://www.exploreminnesota.com/events/24577/arts-meander
- Vigilance series at The Loft – September-November https://www.loft.org/events__programs/thematic_series/vigilance/)