As an inveterate rummager I take unending delight in this uber blog, a powerful if understated blog that aims to provide “fascinating historical documents, reports on items in the news, oddities and fun stuff and government bloopers.”
Properly outfitted with the Freedom of Information Act a volunteer crew scavenge relentlessly in federal public documents heretofore hidden from public view. They then post the most delicious government communications, reports and other documents on www.governmentattic.org.
For those of us who just can’t get enough, they manage a dynamic email distribution system that lights up the mailbox 2-3 times every week. And that’s a lot of us. The site does no marketing, is run by volunteers, and averages about 6000 unique users and 190 GB of downloads per month.
Forget the dusty holiday decorations, the kids’ broken toys, the wicker baskets and the bent spoons – go instead for some of this snippet listing of long-hidden treasures posted within the past few days on Government Attic.org. Don’t stop here – poke around! It’s like this EVERY week – rain or shine! A rummage sale not to be missed but to be savored
- Mandatory Declassification Review (MDR) Request log for the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), 2009-2010 http://tinyurl.com/29vcx6g
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) release of material from FBI file number 100-HQ-403320 Subject: The Mattachine Society, 1948-1971 (early homosexual rights organization) NOTE: Large file: 43 MB http://tinyurl.com/24qr3xe
- TOWARD NEW HORIZONS, famous 1946 multi-volume report to General of theArmy H.H. Arnold by Army Air Forces Scientific Advisory Group [the “von Kármán Report”]. The best scientific minds look forward to the future of American military air Power. NOTE: This link opens a separate page listing available files. [05-October-200United States Army Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM) FOIA Annual reporting statistics, 2000 – 2008 – [PDF 1.4 MB – 28-Oct-2009]
- US Census Bureau Annual FOIA Reports FY 1995 – 2006 – [PDF 3.0 MB – 12-Jan-2008]
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) Office of the Chief FOIA Officer records that discuss matters relating to FOIA, and/or its planning, budgeting, or implementation at the agency, 2007 – [PDF 1.8 MB – 14-Dec-2009]
- Consultant report on US Federal Trade Commission FOIA operations, June 2002 – [PDF 336 KB – 17-Jan-2008]
- Department of Education records re implementation of new FOIA law enacted December 2007 – [PDF 89 MB – 01-Mar-2010]
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) Freedom Of Information (FOIA) And Privacy Acts (PA) Reference Manual – [PDF 66.7 MB – 17-May-2010]